Search for a Kanji by Radical Stroke Count
Use the to search for an unkown kanji by its radical.
- On the , click (IME Pad), then click Radical.
The Radical applet is displayed.
- In the Radical Stroke Count box, click the , then click the stroke count of the radical of the kanji you are searching for.
Radicals with the stroke count you have selected are displayed.
- Click on the radical of the kanji you are looking for.
Kanji with the selected radical are displayed.
- Click the kanji you want to enter.
The kanji is input at the cursor position.
- When you are finished, click (Close).
- To switch to list views, on click (Large/Detailed List Display) to change the list display. Each time you click it, the list will alternate between large and detailed. You can also alternate between Large Display and Detailed Display by clicking .
| Large Display
|| Large characters are displayed
| Detailed Display
|| The candidate and its stroke count, On reading, Kun reading, and variant characters are displayed.|
You can input a variant character by clicking it.
If the On reading, Kun reading, and variant characters are not displayed, widen the IME Pad window by dragging the right or left edges.
- When you switch to Detailed Display, list contents are ordered by Kanji stroke count. You can narrow your search by using the stroke count of the Kanji you are looking for.
- The Radical applet will also be displayed if you click (Tools) on the Toolbar, point to IME Pad, then click Radical.
- If Radical is not displayed
Radical is sometimes not displayed on the following menus, and elsewhere.
* The menu displayed when you click (IME Pad) on the IME Toolbar.
* The menu displayed when you click (Tools) on the IME Toolbar, and point to IME Pad.
* The IME Pad applet bar.
* The menu displayed when you point to the Applet menu on the IME Pad menu.
If this happens, add the Radical applet to the menu in question using the Modify Applet Menus dialog box, as described below.
Click the (IME Pad menu), and point to the Applet menu, then click User Preferences. In the Modify Applet Menus dialog box, click Radical under Available Applets, then click Add ->. Radical will be displayed under Current Applets. Click Close.
- When help is displayed, if you click (IME Pad), then for instance click Radical, the IME Pad window will be opened, but the Help window will have input focus. For this reason, you will not be able to input characters via the IME Pad. In this case, click (Close), closing the IME Pad for the moment. Then click the application window, and after making sure that the cursor is in the position you want characters to be input, click (IME Pad) again.